[Asterisk-Dev] Seeking advice on choppy demo voice issue.

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 19 15:20:41 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 14:15 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> It just occurred to me that debian doesn't by default tune up your
> harddrive. You might want to use hdparm and verify you have DMA and 32
> bit turned on. if not it is options -c1 and -d1.

Good pointer, but I already checked that. I'm running a 2 disk RAID1
setup actually, and one of my first ideas was that throughput might
be bad.

Anyway, Debian per default enabled dma on both disks, and I then enabled
32bit IO, too. Changed nothing though.

Can't say if the raid layer adds to this, but I guess that shouldn't be
a bottleneck.

# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   360 MB in  2.00 seconds = 179.85 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   88 MB in  3.03 seconds =  29.04 MB/sec

and similar for hdc.

Especially the cached reads aren't that great, but it should suffice
and, as said, the same hardware works flawlessly with FC3.

Thanks, Bruno.