[Asterisk-Dev] TDM120 card?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Dec 19 12:17:45 MST 2004

At 4:41 PM +0100 on 12/19/04, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>hi
>
>any chance of making asterisk support these?
>
>http://voipstore.atacomm.com/shops/ViewItem.aspx/27934028032-38356249088.htm
>
>roy

My strong suspicion is that these cards will work with Asterisk
"out-of-the-box".  However, until I can order one and get it in my
hands and plug it into one of my test boxes... it's vapor.   I've
seen quite a few miracle products that somehow have something to do
with Asterisk, on this list and on -users, and especially on the IRC
channel.  Only rarely do they actually ever see the light of day.

However, I am encouraged to see the at least the discussion of the
appearance of a DSP-enabled card that handles transcoding and echo
cancellation.  This may be a big step forward for those of us that
(unfortunately) are still handing off PRI channels in bulk to various
TDM carriers.  I'm a big proponent of "software" doing the work of
hardware, but as I've mentioned before in this forum, we're still not
quite there on the price/performance curve.  At $995 for 120
channels, this is still a bit ahead of Moore's Law (when compared to
the price of staying at the edge of Moore's Law.)

How does this relate to the -dev list?  Well, good question.  If
these cards are effective, then perhaps it is the case that three of
them could be installed in a single chassis.  That's (240*3=720)
channels in a single box - let's say a 2x3.2ghz Xeon.  Are there any
limits that we start to encounter with Zap's ability to deal with
that many channels?  With the addition of an AdTran or other M13 type
mux, this is a "poor man's DS3" adapter, without the effort of
creating a Zap driver for a completely new board set.

(PS: Responses to this thread should not start discussing price or
politics of G.7[*] licenses; I'm tired of hearing about that topic.)

JT