[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 16 KHz audio ?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Sat Dec 18 08:48:44 MST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Eric Bart wrote:

>> I think that WMME's internal stuff will do resampling for you and
>> guarantees an 8khz sample rate, even if the underlying hardware
>> doesn't
>> support it.
>
> I'm using the old multimedia api (waveInOpen etc ...). To me there's
> no doubt all sound card drivers support 8KHz.

WMME == Windows MultiMedia Extensions == the API you're using..

> Maybe some USB mike drivers do not support high sampling freq, but
> they do support 8KHz.

I don't know if the drivers do this, or windows internal mixer stuff
does the resampling, but I know I've gotten 8khz rates from hardware
that, under linux, won't give me 8khz.  I haven't found this to be a
guarantee I can find anywhere in the docs, though..