[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 16 KHz audio ?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Sat Dec 18 07:23:47 MST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:14 AM, Eric Bart wrote:

>>> Almost all consumer sound cards sample at 48 kHz only, thanks to the
>>> ubiquitous AC97 standard.
>>
>> I believe this is only the case if you have SPDIF output enabled.
>
> I'm selling a 8KHz Windows software recorder. I've sold many.
> I never had any complaints about a non settable 8KHz sampling freq. !

I think that WMME's internal stuff will do resampling for you and
guarantees an 8khz sample rate, even if the underlying hardware doesn't
support it.

That's been my experience with iaxclient, at least.

On the Mac, where hardware usually only does native 44.1 or 48khz,
portaudio does resampling for me, and on Linux, we sometimes lose when
asking for 8khz.

-SteveK