[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 16 KHz audio ?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Dec 18 05:16:07 MST 2004

Tony Mountifield wrote:

>In article <877jng35xq.fsf at deneb.enyo.de>,
>Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>

>>* Eric Bart:
>>

>>>No. I read in a forum that someone saw that Skype was opening a sound card
>>>driver at 48KHz. Why would it if not for using it ?
>>>

>>Almost all consumer sound cards sample at 48 kHz only, thanks to the
>>ubiquitous AC97 standard.
>>

>I believe this is only the case if you have SPDIF output enabled.
>
>I disabled the SPDIF output on mine: "options nvaudio spdif_status=0",
>and suddenly it was no longer fixed at 48kHz, but much more flexible.
>
>Cheers
>Tony

The important thing as far as the original discussion is concerned is
that I have not seen a recent PC sound card that does 16k sampling. Unix
machines and Macs (maybe not all) seem to do it. Some older PC sound
cards could be programmed to almost any arbitrary rate. Now they seem
less flexible. I guess they do no more than the AC97 specs demand.

Regards,
Steve