Audio Quality (was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] 16 KHz audio ?)

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Dec 17 11:05:51 MST 2004

Steve Kann wrote:

> [..]
>   b) Presently, "samples" is used in asterisk frames:  If the wideband
> codec uses a sampling rate that is a multiple of 8khz (like 16khz), we
> could just set this parameter to be the number of 8khz-equivalent
> samples in the frame, otherwise the implicit equivalence of 8samples
> == 1ms is broken.  A 44.1khz codec, though, wouldn't fit this paradigm.

The wideband telephony codecs mostly sample at 16k/second. Some can do
32k/second. You could go crazy and use the 48k/second music codecs. All
these are direct multiples of 8kHz, so they are relatively easy to
accomodate. Its only the 44.1k/second codecs that give any problems, and
I see no reason to use one of those for telephony. Just say "no"! :-)

Regards,
Steve