[Asterisk-Dev] 16 KHz audio ?

Eric Bart btk-adm at byortek.com
Fri Dec 17 07:53:42 MST 2004

> >It seems that the Skype success is partly due to its
> >16 KHz audio bandwidth.

> I've heard a lot of comments about Skype and its benefits, but never
> anything boasting that their sound quality is any good.

Please read this skype experience:
http://www.vonage-forum.com/article312.html
"The sound quality is amazing, like the person you're speaking with is
sitting right next to you. You can hear so much more than you can get
through a phone."

It's clear that a wide bandwidth is giving a better audio, a better
experience.

Skype may be using a 24 KHz bandwidth. I know that they're also using
a very good compression codec.

Of course Skype may also get a crappy sound because of Internet
congestions, but that's another problem.

A high audio bandwidth with a simple adpcm codec would be a great
improvement for asterisk (at least over a private lan). For an
Internet call, you'll also need a very good codec.