[Asterisk-Dev] 16 KHz audio ?

Andrew Lindh asterisk at ntplx.net
Fri Dec 17 07:49:07 MST 2004

G.722 (wideband speech coding standard) would be a good step.
It's an accepted standard and some phones already support it.
It should not be too hard to write a new codec/format module
for asterisk. Looks like it only needs about 10MIPS of power to
run. I'm sure there is already some reference code out there.
I don't know the copyright/patent status of the code of G.722

One of the benefits from this would be to improve communication
between people speaking English where English is NOT their first
language. It's hard enough to speak someone else's language
but when both parties are using non-native speech you need all
the help you can get....if you have the bandwidth for 64K....

FYI: G.722 is a 14 bit 16Khz sampled with SB-ADPCM compression
down to 64K, 56K, or 48K.

http://www.itu.int/rec/recommendation.asp?type=folders&lang=e&parent=T-REC-G.722