[Asterisk-Dev] 16 KHz audio ?

Eric Bart btk-adm at byortek.com
Fri Dec 17 04:52:06 MST 2004

> I guess you could conceivably design an IAX type protocol that
> operates with greater than 8khz audio, but the instant you hit
> anything that uses traditional time-division multiplexing, you're
> going to have to downsample that to standard 8khz mu-law or a-law
> audio.

Let's say that 16KHz would be only choosen when both IAX phones
support the 16KHz encoding. Thus, it seems to me that the patch
is not too heavy.

However there could be a problem for meetme,voicemail, ...

Either you create a downsampling app somewhere within asterisk,
either you ask the IAX phone to change it's sampling frequency.
I would choose the latter.

As for the codecs, you may also choose mu-law with a 16KHz
sampling frequency.