[Asterisk-Dev] ZAP Channel Maxout.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Dec 14 08:19:55 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:
> Since a lot of folks seem to be sensitive to that 4800 number, keep in
> mind the primary issue that is significantly more important is 'how
> many simultanous channels in use'. E.g., if zero channels in use, why
> is 4800 a problem? (I'm not the original poster but just somebody that
> is rather sensitive to 'actual traffic' and not some meaningless max
> appearances / definitions. :)

Well, he's talking about TDMoE, so 4800 channels of TDMoE into a single
server is going to present the same network/interrupt load regardless of
whether any of them are in use or not. If he is doing this all with
Asterisk, then obviously using IAX between the PSTN gateways and the
central box would drastically reduce the load, if the channel usage
average is not near 100% at any time.