[Asterisk-Dev] Re: writing a GPL G.729?

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at chaosium.net
Tue Dec 7 16:17:48 MST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:26:25AM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> I was hoping the URLS above would point out that the places where it
> could be legally stolen from the creators is so small as to be
> worthless. But then again, that would require those who would be
> contemplating this idea to actually think.
This is a broken idea.

He is NOT STEALING anything from anyone.

He is talking about a clean-room implementation.  This is no more
stealing than OpenOffice implementing Microsoft Word's format--patents
notwithstanding.  Patents are artificial.  They are intended to create
an effect.  Theft is moral.  Violating a patent does not a thief make.
Stealing makes a thief.  I am firmly of the opinion that there are no
grounds that implementing a protocol can be stealing.  Some countries
have laws that agree or disagree (possibly not Norway, they may enforce
the ITU treaty locally).  There is nothing moral or immoral about doing
something legal in your jurisdiction.

Keep the question clear, then.  If he's not breaking local laws, they
objections are on a moral ground.  Are the incredibly long monopolies
and legal entanglements of current patent law morally justifiable?
That's not a discussion you want it have with me.

--
Jayson Vantuyl