[Asterisk-Dev] Re: writing a GPL G.729?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 7 10:26:25 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 00:23 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
> >I posted about which countries the patents where first filed for. The
> >URL for it is...
> >http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-October/065227.html
> >It includes a link to the itu documents that tell you about the patents.
> >
> >Of course I found this which shows you the ITU treaty.
> >http://216.119.123.56/dyn4000/dyn/docs/ITSO/tpl1_itso.cfm?location=&id=5&link_src=HPL〈=english
> >
> >And guess what, Norway is a ITU treaty signor.
> >http://216.119.123.56/dyn4000/dyn/docs/ITSO/tpl1_itso.cfm?location=&id=3&link_src=HPL〈=english
> >
> >BTW, I don't know what the site names should be above, the links where
> >found on google using words "itu treaty".
> >

> Software is patentable in Europe and most other places, when it meets
> certain conditions. It always has been. There is actually nothing in
> European patent law directly about software. What is says is basically
> pure maths can't be patented, while applied maths can. The means
> fundamental algorithms can't be patented, but a piece of software that
> has a "technical effect" can. I think "technical effect" is also a magic
> term of some kind in US patent law. The US does, however, allow the
> patenting of pure maths.

Just to keep the score cards up to date, I am on the side of "forget
G729, use something else".

I was hoping the URLS above would point out that the places where it
could be legally stolen from the creators is so small as to be
worthless. But then again, that would require those who would be
contemplating this idea to actually think.