[Asterisk-Dev] writing a GPL G.729?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Dec 7 08:28:39 MST 2004

Steve Kann wrote:

> I think people are working on this;  There's certainly posts all the
> time about people looking to port the codec to different DSP
> implementations -- someone from hp seems to be porting to TI C5x now.
> He reported earlier:
>
> I have the encoder and decoder running now and have verified that the
>
>> encoder is bit-exact wrt to the fixed-point code running on x86 for
>> the same 30-second audio sample.  Encode and decode together run in
>> real-time for 8KHz data, complexity=3, on 120MHz C5509 when code and
>> data are all in on-chip SRAM.  I have not tested the wideband codec yet.

I saw that, but his implementation seems to be going astray. It is
taking enormous amounts of compute. I don't see anybody who clearly
knows that they are doing working on this stuff, which is a real pity.
There is no obvious reason why speex should be massively slower than
G.729, and that runs at about 10MIPs on most fixed point DSPs. If speex
is taking more than 20MIPs something is amiss.

Steve