[Asterisk-Dev] Re: writing a GPL G.729? [OT]

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Dec 7 07:41:09 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Schaefer, Mark wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see what you say about software patents when you come up
>> with a truly unique and innovative solution in software.  Patents are
>> designed to protect the innovators.  If software innovation is not
>> protected, then there is little incentive to innovate.  As the US
>> Constitution says, one goal of the state is "To promote the Progress
>> of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors
>> and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and
>> Discoveries"
>>
>> Without patents, here's what would happen: 1) You spend a year
>> designing a brand new algorithm that represents a quantum leap in
>> switch efficiency and throughput.  2) You build that algorithm into a
>> new line of switches that perform ten times better than the competition.
>> 3) Your competitor reverse-engineers your algorithm and puts it into
>> their switches.
>> 4) No company invests in switch R&D because its a cost center and
>> there is no financial reward.
>> 5) Despite what Richard Stallman says, you would not see Universities
>> step up to do all R&D.  Do we really think that Universities innovate
>> without thought of financial gain?  MIT has one of the biggest Patent
>> offices of any University.
>>
>> The only people I see complaining about software patents are the
>> people who don't create anything new.
>>

> This kind of argument holds no water whatsoever.
>
> First, 99.99% of the world's software is not protected by patents. It
> was still written, though. Much of it still makes lots of people lots
> of money. Patents are demonstrably not necessary to foster innovation
> in software.
>
> Second, patents have degenerated into a land grab, and don't represent
> the fruits of real labour at all. The subject is G.729. Another name
> for that is CS-ACELP  - conjugate structure algebraic code-excited
> linear prediction. The last part - linear prediction - it pretty old.
> In the 1930s people like Durbin and Schur worked out efficient
> algorithms for that without any commercial imperative. That was pretty
> innovative stuff. The next bit - code-excited - refers to a technique
> invented in about 1980 by guys at Bell labs. They never patented it.
> Perhaps the huge compute power it needed at the time made them think
> it was a waste of time. They still did *really* ground breaking work
> on this. Then came a few people who never made much of a splash. They
> reduced the compute quite a bit. No patents, and very little
> recognition. The GSM started to get people's attention. The Europeans
> were actually going to make compressed digital voice a mass market
> thing. There was feeding frenzy. Every dumbass technique you can think
> of was suddenly patented. The algebraic sum, and the conjugate parts
> of G.729 are where all the patents are, and they are the least ground
> breaking aspects of the whole codec. There is no solid relationship
> [...]
Exactly (I was originally going to write this in a separate post).  The
idea of patents is useful.  What's been lost is the goal:  "to promote
the progress of science and useful arts".

It used to be that there was a high bar for filing a patent.  Your
invention used to need to show a "spark of genius".  Now, that threshold
has been legally changed to an invention which is "non-obvious", and
even there, that threshold is clearly not applied.    Hence you have
these patents:

Take a look at this great patent from 1975:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4,022,227.WKU.&OS=PN/4,022,227&RS=PN/4,022,227

My more modern favorite (2002):
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,368,227.WKU.&OS=PN/6,368,227&RS=PN/6,368,227

More winners: