[Asterisk-Dev] Re: writing a GPL G.729? [OT]

Schaefer, Mark Mark.Schaefer at ONSTAR.com
Tue Dec 7 07:14:38 MST 2004

I'd like to see what you say about software patents when you come up with a truly unique and innovative solution in software.  Patents are designed to protect the innovators.  If software innovation is not protected, then there is little incentive to innovate.  As the US Constitution says, one goal of the state is "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries"

Without patents, here's what would happen:
1) You spend a year designing a brand new algorithm that represents a quantum leap in switch efficiency and throughput.
2) You build that algorithm into a new line of switches that perform ten times better than the competition.
3) Your competitor reverse-engineers your algorithm and puts it into their switches.
4) No company invests in switch R&D because its a cost center and there is no financial reward.
5) Despite what Richard Stallman says, you would not see Universities step up to do all R&D.  Do we really think that Universities innovate without thought of financial gain?  MIT has one of the biggest Patent offices of any University.

The only people I see complaining about software patents are the people who don't create anything new.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:49 AM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Re: writing a GPL G.729?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Says you.  Some of us think you're completely, utterly, wrong.  Actual
> innovation does not take place in the big companies with the many
> patent lawyers -- it's happening in the Open Source world, and in the
> small startup companies that grow out of it.

Does anyone here think that Microsoft would have ever been the first to
write something like Asterisk?

For that matter, does anyone think that Microsoft would have been the
first to write a windowing GUI, or a web browser, or an audio player, or
a multiuser, multitasking OS?

Software patents were a mistake made by an ignorant patent office, and
indeed they will eventually prove to be a huge drag on America's
financial future. . . IMO, of course.

B.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: