[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

Nicolas Gudino nicolas at house.com.ar
Tue Aug 17 09:27:58 MST 2004

Hi Holger,

Holger Schurig wrote:

>>   It sounds like that manager.py is useful in certain circumstances,
>>but it does not easily allow integration of these variables into the
>>diaplan,
>

> No, that is not for what manager.py is. However, I quoted a snippet of
> your text:
>

>>Technically, it is possible to write a daemon that sits on a manager
>> port and watches for all traffic it sees. Extracting channel data is
>> then quite easy since you can basically execute any command from the
>> manager interface.
>

> ... and this is what this program does.

I believe that quote belongs to Florian, not John..

<snip>

> BTW: "Number of Rings" doesn't exist generally (you don't know how fast
> the phone will ring). But you can get the time from the ringing-state to
> the connected-state, even via Manager-API and a listening-daemon.

The "rings" element is part of ast_channel structure. I do not know how
it is used, but its there. John suggested to somehow integrate the
channel structure information into the dialplan, without the need for
external daemons.

Maybe its not so hard to add the information to astdb, but it 'might'
have performance issues. And then you have to perform some kind of
garbage collection to clean old channel data.

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Gudino
House Internet S.R.L.