[Asterisk-Dev] VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Aug 10 13:27:52 MST 2004

As I recall, proving prior art requires more than "witnesses" that say you
talked about something at a certain time.

At my (former) company, at the strong suggestion of our patent attorney, we
maintained a written patent notebook, where we detailed in writing every
idea that we thought might be unique and possibly patentable.  Each entry
was signed at the time of creation by the "inventor" and 2 witnesses.  This
formality generally will help you if you later want to contest a patent,
under the prior art argument.

Another argument to contest a patent is that you can show that your idea has
been commercially implemented and sold to a customer, and you can clearly
document the dates.

But really, patents are a legal cat-and-mouse game, and you should have deep
pockets to play.

Regards
Scott

Scott M. Stingel