[Asterisk-Dev] Hardware for handling large call volume

Sudhir Kumar sudhir1 at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 24 21:00:22 MST 2004

James Courtier-Dutton Wrote:

> That sort of setup will need a lot of CPU power.
> I would suggest using special hardware with a DSP for each DSO.
> E.g. CiscoAS5300 or Lucent/Ascend MAX, or any other hardware
> that uses a DSP for each channel.

Cisco AS5300 is expensive (at least for us), so we are going with
Asterisk. Our current plan is to use the following hardware:
    Dual Xeon (2.4 GHz) processors
    1 GB Mem
    2 GB flash drive
    SATA drive for voice mails
    Digium Quad E1 card with G.729 licenses for all channels

We thought using even a 4 processor box is cheaper than going Cisco
Route.

If I get warnings about our hardware, we might consider other options.
But more than likely, we are going to stay with Asterisk.

Thanks,
-- sudhir