[Asterisk-Dev] MPL(openh323)/ GPL License issues

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 07:11:07 MST 2004

I think the point is that the "* LICENSING" section from the README
should instead be in the "LICENSE" file. Also, every source code file
should also have a header containing LICENCE details.

Also, the exception for openh323 should also mean that * has to comply
with the openh323 licence, and thus include openh323 copyright notices
all over the * code as well. (See (3) below)

openh323 has these licensing notes:
Note that due to a restriction in the GPL, any application you write
that uses anything another than GPL, eg our library with MPL, is
technically in breach of the GPL license. However, it should be noted
that MPL does not care about the license of the final application, and
as only the author of the GPL application is in breach of his own
license and is unlikely to sue themselves for that breach, in practice
there is no problem with a GPL application using an MPL or any other
commercial library.

BUT:
The openh323 MPL license also says this: -

3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
must display the following acknowledgement:
  *      This product includes software developed by the Network Research
  *      Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.