[Asterisk-Dev] MPL(openh323)/ GPL License issues

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Thu Apr 22 16:36:37 MST 2004

Hi,
 On a slightly different topic to Bill Jenning's email,

ast_h323.cpp and ast_h323.h contain in their header::

 * chan_h323 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * chan_h323 is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
 * the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

The conclusion I come to on reading this is that
a)ast_h323.X is under the GPL licence

b)ast_h323.X does not contain the clause which gives Linux Support
  services the right to license it differently.

c)There is a license violation, because MPL code (which is what openh323
  is) cannot be linked to GPL code.

d)There is a potential license issue here (and I am  not a license
  lawyer enough to know if it is) does this mean ast_h323.X cannot be
  linked to asterisk.

   The reason for this: asterisk == GPL + Linux Services exemption.
                        ast_h323 == GPL
     If asterisk is released under an alternative license (as Linux
        Services has), then ast_h323 is in conflict.

Derek.
Derek Smithies Ph.D.                           This PC runs pine on linux for email
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.                     If you find a virus apparently from me, it has
Email: derek at indranet.co.nz                    forged  the e-mail headers on someone else's machine
ph +64 3 365 6485                              Please do not notify me when (apparently) receiving a
Web: http://www.indranet-technologies.com/     windows virus from me......