[Asterisk-Dev] chan_sccp move from lambda-solutions.deto SF.NET

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Thu Apr 22 09:47:19 MST 2004

> Each module that is loaded into Asterisk is required to include a function
> that returns a sort of pass-phrase key that MUST declare the code as GPL.

I would also like to clarify that the GPL does not permit runtime linking
with proprietary code
(http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins) even as modules,
plugins, etc.  The usage of the "key" is to enforce and make it abundantly
clear that this is the case.

Digium is the sole entity which can make exceptions to the GPL for
Asterisk as we distribute it (as we have done for OpenH323 and G.729) but
this further does not permit us to use other GPL code within Asterisk
(although you may use Asterisk's code in other GPL programs since we do
not require that you extend that exception to your own derivative works).

See
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingOverControlledInterface
for our inspiration.

Mark