[Asterisk-Dev] Makefile:73: .depend: No such file or directory

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 21 10:50:14 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 05:33, karunesha wrote:
> Hi Rob Garnon
>     I have rewritten the question,
>     Actualy i had downloded Asterisk DEVELOPER Version from the CVS with the
> help of SysAdmin. Downloded Zaptel. libpri and asterisk.And placed all the
> folders in our linux system /usr/src/ directory.
>
> 1. I tried to install the Zaptel and did it successfuly. But at the end of
> installation i seen following lines. What does it meen, have i missed any
> files or some thing else.
>
>     /sbin/depmod -a
>     depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/char/ocdemonpp.o
>     depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/misc/torisa.o
>     depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/misc/zaptel.o

As a general rule, missing symbols means you don't have all the parts
needed in the kernel to get where you need to go. Most likely your
kernel doesn't have PPP support and you didn't modify the Makefile to
remove the PPP support. Add to this the fact that a 2.4.2 kernel is
extremely old, and you have a case for needing to do some more
upgradeing. 2.4.2 is a 2-22-01 kernel. Current kernel is 2.4.26 and is 2
years 2 months newer.

To verify what symbols are missing us the command
depmod -ae
The e will tell you what is missing. If it is a lot of symbols and the
begin with funky line noise looking strings, you have a modversion
problem. If it is just PPP entries, edit the makefile and remove the PPP
option and try again.

> information and/or be subject to legal privilege of Deccanet Designs Ltd.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
> immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
> you are strictly prohibited from retaining, using, copying, altering or
> disclosing the contents of this message.

enforcement anyways.