[Asterisk-Dev] Transfer of variables to remote servers (new subject)

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Apr 20 13:14:30 MST 2004

John Todd wrote:
> more significant and vexing
> problem of transferring values OUT of a particular server to a remote
> server.
>
> I am uncertain how this should be created, actually.  How do you hand
> things off in SIP?  How about IAX2?  MGCP?  Zap?(1) How do you read them
> from the other side?  How do you refuse them?(2)  Can you get a list of
> the attached values at the other end?(3)

I would suggest we concentrate on Asterisk to asterisk for this functionality.
Which suggest IAX2.
There need to be a "trust" concept - do we trust data from this server, or not?

> This would be _TREMENDOUSLY_ powerful if it could be well designed and
> had even basic functionality in SIP and IAX2.  Think of this very small
> variable name example: "__caller-is-ceo"
For SIP, I can't recall an existing protocol extension. There's a lot of
work going on in the 3G space so maybe there's functionality for this
to be found there - metadata on a call to be handled only between one
provider's trusted servers.

/O