[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Sun Apr 18 18:41:16 MST 2004

Hi,

> And how exactly is asterisk meant to know which user it should
> authenicating against? My model solves the problem of not using public
> key cryptography by exploiting the fact that both parties already have a
> secret.. the password. If you don't know the username, you won't know
> the password.
>
> Of course, we should be using public key crypto when possible, but we
> also need to cater for situations without.

My view is that we are talking about a protocol reorganisation, to get it
secure. Thus, the format of the authorisation packets will have to change.
It is possible to set up a secure link - you have read up on the different
security mechanisms out there. Transmitting username in the clear is a
nono. We just have to find a way to get it to happen.

Derek.