[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Sat Apr 17 19:42:44 MST 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 02:33:24PM +1200, Derek Smithies spake thusly:
> Tracy,
>  I agree, tunnelling over ipsec/stunnel etc is better than reinventing the
> wheel by integrating encryption into IAX.
>  With one major exception.
>  The tunnelling mechanism must not send the udp packets as tcp.
>  The voice must be transmitted on the raw wire as UDP.
>  This is why CIPE is such a good mechanism for doing voip vpns.

Indeed, you and hwstar are quite right on this one. I had forgotten about
the udp issue. My clients have asked me on occasion what sort of security
there is for voip conversations so I look forward to encryption in IAX.
It's usually not a big deal though because they realize their normal
analog voice conversations aren't encrypted either so it will be another
point in favor of VOIP when encryption is standard.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig