[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 802.11b a contraindication?

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Apr 13 15:17:50 MST 2004

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Wilson <chris at netservers.co.uk> writes:

Chris> What about ping statistics, did you manage to capture those?

The rtts to the ata when the laptop is on 100baseT are between 60 and
65 ms.  (That compares to 0.75 ms for most stuff on the lan.)  Over
the 11b they were about 5 ms longer, IIRC.

(The ata186 is of course only 10baseT, but I cannot tell whether it is
full or half duplex; it is not a managed switch and I do not have any
ether test equipment.)

Chris> That's interesting, as Cisco's 7940/60 phones are very good at
Chris> coping with packet loss and jitter, I'd assumed that ATA-186s
Chris> were too. What software were you running on the laptop?

Laptop is near-current 2.6 linux kernel, gentoo ~x86 dist, cvs HEAD *.

Chris> Would be interesting to know if ATA-> laptop was good but
Chris> laptop->ATA was poor, or they were both poor.

Yes, it would.  I didn't think of it at the time, but I'll have to
switch back to the 11b and try phoning my cell over the wan.  I'll
wait to do it overnight since ilbc/iax2/ppp/v92 is toll quality if the
remote AS is under no other load.  (It probably helps that the isp is
using a link to quest in ORD, so it is just one inter-city hop and
then a couple of intra-city links to gw-1-chi.nufone.net.)

Chris> Well, they couldn't be truncated,

I'm not certain that I trust the ata that much. :-/

Chris> What AP are you using, and what card in the laptop?

Card is orinico gold (lucent version 001.001; from before they changed
the name to orinico).  That should be solid.  AP is d-link dwl 900 ap+
(a1 hw, current firmware).  I've not seen any issues with it other
than this.

-JimC