[Asterisk-Dev] A question about interfacing with festival

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Tue Apr 13 15:16:10 MST 2004

Hey, cool, I've got festival up and running, and it works fine with the
festival app.

Just one question, tho--

In the README.festival that is in the contrib dir of the source, it
states:

        2) My patches to asterisk that provide variable substitution and
        quoting to the Asterisk Extension Logic. This is not really a
        requirement, but without this, app_festival is mostly useless
        (you could very well use prerecorded voices for static
        information).

This seems an excellent point. But the Readme has no attribution, so
there's no individual to ask about the patch, and I can't find anything
about it in the bugs db (bugs.digium.com)... So, what all did the author
of 2) intend to do with the new extensions? Were they added? What were
they? How do they help? For instance, just for kicks, I'd like to
get a quote from the "fortune" program, and feed the results via
asterisk to a caller... how on earth could this be achieved?

murf