[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 802.11b a contraindication?

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Apr 13 08:39:19 MST 2004

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Wilson <chris at netservers.co.uk> writes:

Chris> What sort of statistics do you get over long periods? High
Chris> packet loss?  (>1%) High jitter (>1ms)? Have you tried IAX2
Chris> with jitter buffer over the link, instead of SIP, and if so did
Chris> it help?

It was too unuseable to do anything at all.  But I only have the
ata186 and the laptop on that lan (at least that can do voip) so
testing iax2 is not possible for now.

(Now, were an iaxy to show up here .... :)

I got the studdering effect.  At least from the notebook to the ata;
I cannot say how it was in the other dir...

It was as if either every other packet or so were dropped or as if
every packet were truncated.

The topology looked like:
                                 -------- ata186
                                / 10baseT
laptop ---- ap ======== switch /
       .11b    100baseT        \
                                \
                                 ======== narrowband router .....
                                 100baseT                    ppp
                                                             v90

with * on the laptop and on remote sites.

I am using 100baseT now for the laptop's link and can do near-toll
quality calls (using iax2/ilbc over the v90) at night and almost
as good during the day.  (I've also tried G732.1 from the ata
tunneled over iax between my *s and over sip to a remote harware
gateway; that also works well.)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com> <http://jhcloos.com>