[Asterisk-Dev] Flexible configuration/ Data abstraction

Rob Gagnon rob at networkip.net
Fri Apr 9 13:10:46 MST 2004

Exactly what I was thinking :-)  (could it be because I am the author of
QINT???)

Anyhow, since the release of the QINT patch, more expansion on the idea has
taken place in #asterisk-dev,
and a thinner, more powerful, method of doing this is coming.

I am working with Exomorph on producing "res_data.c" along with some modules
that will register to it as the actual data sources.

the advantage res_data will have over QINT (even though I like QINT) is that
it will have a much smaller impact on existing source code files in
Asterisk.

For example, chan_sip.h had to be created to support QINT by extracting the
sip_user and sip_peer struct's from chan_sip.c.... res_data will not require
that extraction, and will be more powerful.

The idea we have now is to allow a user to configure how they would want
each query performed, and in which order.... (similar to Unix
nss_switch.conf files if you are familiar)

IE:
a sip peer could be told to be found via: ldap, mysql, files
which would mean to lookup in ldap for the peer, and if not found, try
mysql, then try flat files.... etc... thats the idea anyhow.

For this to work, res_data.c will allow modules to register with it.  IE:
you could have res_data_mysql.c register with res_data.c as the handler for
sip peer lookups.

We will see how it comes out in the end.  Ideas in our heads are always
harder to explain in text....