[Asterisk-Dev] Performance bottleneck in voicemail2 on nfsed huge mailboxes

Brad Bergman bradley at bergman.ca
Mon Sep 29 22:07:05 MST 2003

On Sat 27 Sep 2003 20:17, asterisk at billheckel.com wrote:
> There has been a long standing design flaw in voicemail that I have
> mentioned repeatedly.  If you are listening to your voicemail and another
> voicemail comes

Yeah I've noticed a couple of implications of this when I was tinkering with
voicemail to provide post-recording options to callers leaving messages (like
replay, re-record, etc). There is the possibility for someone to leave a
message, for the recipient to hear it, and then the caller to delete the
message thinking that the recipient hasn't heard it (or the caller to
re-record it and the recipient to hear the original version unintentionally).
Yuck.

I was also trying to come up with a way to tag messages as "urgent" so that
they would play first, but couldn't think of a nice way to do that, other
than creating a separate urgent mailbox folder.

> All voicemail should have a unique ID that is globally unique and time
> based ( like unix milliseconds ) so that incoming voicemail is always in
> order.

Well one nice side effect of that is that you could associate one message with
another message, like when forwarding a message, record your own comments as
one message and deliver the forwarded message as an "attachment".

Just a couple observations.

Brad