[Asterisk-Dev] Performance bottleneck in voicemail2 on nfsed huge mailboxes

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Sep 27 08:55:13 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 10:33, Levent Guendogdu wrote:
> ... another "workaround" just popped into my mind, which would be
> simpler to implement IMHO:
>
> after playing the beep, record the voicemail audio to a (some) tmp
> file(s), like
>
> /tmp/<currentsystemtime>.gsm
>
> After hangup, look for the next msg num and save the meta file and
> voicemail.
>
> Sounds good to me for a first step, if no one objects, I'll patch this.

Or a more scalable method that would also help out for a project that
Tilghman needs, just name the messages with the epoch of creation and
maybe a md5 of the caller id. This would let you create the filename in
a method that is sortable and pretty much guaranteed to be unique
without consulting the filesystem first. This also should make the
filenames unique enough to bounce from mailbox to mailbox without
renaming. Also you could delete a message and still have the gap filled.
BTW, if MySQL is the answer than you probably are asking the wrong
question.