[Asterisk-Dev] Client development...

Boudewijn van Ingen bogie at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 25 17:44:59 MST 2003

My excuse to the moderators of this list. I forgot to set the proper
address in the first attempt.

At 04:45 PM 25-09-2003 -0700, TC wrote:

 >>I'm an experienced developer and have looked at the existing ports of the
 >>original code. But for several reasons,
 >the iaxclient.sf.net has nice working iax lib that is portable..
 >is there some fundamental issue that could not be worked out on that project
 >>I have decided that it would be
 >>best for my needs to make a completely different design of the
 >>iax-libraries, this time in c++, and hopefully remaining somewhat portable.
 >
 >just seems a shame to start a new attempt rather than building on the effort

It would seem that way to any inexperienced software developer.

Still, what I am attempting to do, is not an attempt to throw all the
efforts of 'those who went before me' away. What I am attempting to do, is
capturing all that happened before in better streamlined code. (And only
for *clients* of the asterisk system, mind you, I have no further ambitions
right now.) The reason I want to do that is mainly because I saw so many
problems in the way that "libaix" has been ported to Windows so far.

Furthermore, I would like to have a version of it that would be more easily
extended by other programmers.

To me, it seems that a properly designed C++ version of "libaix" could help
in both those areas. But simply porting the C version into C++ is a hard
job, without further information about the iax-protocol. Even without
considering Windows ways to handle I/O (I have already concentrated that
part into proper C++ classes that can easily be replaced)...

Groeten,
Boudewijn.