[Asterisk-Dev] Voice prompts, do we have to use GSM?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Sep 5 07:27:13 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 09:16, Lee Goodman wrote:
> Currently, the voice prompts are stored in GSM format. Is there a way
> to play other formats, like WAV files? Or can we play the GSM other
> than the current compressed format? Maybe a less compressed GSM format
> (currently, isn't the GSM mode 8k voice)

All phone traffic tops out at 8bit 8k. Recording higher traffic just
puts a load on ther server to downsample before playing every time. As
far as I know GSM is only in 6.10 standard and is not available in a
less compressed form. You could store the files in any of a number of
formats, and wav is one of them. You just need to ensure that it is in a
codec that is supported on linux and by asterisk. Look into the formats
directory to get an idea of what is supported.

BTW, this was really a user question, not a developer question.
Also, Please turn off HTML email. HTML did not help you ask your
question and nearly made sure that I and possibly a fair number of us
didn't read your question.