[Asterisk-Users] RE: [Asterisk-Dev] Upcoming Major CVS Changes

Thorsten Lockert tholo at sigmasoft.com
Tue Oct 28 06:57:20 MST 2003

> As for *why* we're doing this change, and what advantages there
> will be and how to use them, Thornston will send that information in a
> separate e-mail.

Back in February, the original CVS repository was lost.  With that, all
change history
from before then was lost as well.

I have reconstructed the parts of that previous history that I could, using
the old
FTP releases, and then merging in what is in the current CVS repository.

I addition to this, all the releases that has been made to date (0.5.0 for
Asterisk,
for instance), have been tagged.  This means you can check out Asterisk
0.5.0 by just
doing "cvs checkout -r v0-5-0 asterisk" once the CVS respoitory has been
modified.

Going forward we also expect to have properly tagged and branched releases,
with real
bug-fix branches -- what many people would consider "STABLE" branches.  Look
for a bit
more formalized release process in this regard.

Note that for those people that have been using the "-D" option to CVS to
get at
specific versions that they feel comfortable with, this *will still work*.
All the
time stamps in the CVS repository will be *unchanged* after this happens.
But all
the internal release numbers will have changed, so you will have to get
fresh check-
outs.

Note that only the modules "asterisk", "gastman", "gnophone", "libpri",
"zapata" and
"zaptel" are being replaced -- any other modules will not be affected at
all.

Thorsten