[Asterisk-Dev] sql storage for voicemail

Steve Creel screel at turbs.com
Thu Oct 23 10:40:01 MST 2003

	I am looking to write mysql support for voicemail storage.  I have
looked at it from many different angles (though I dare not say all angles)
and can.t figure out which is the better way to go.  I want to avoid a
completely separate voicemail app, though it looks like that would be the
easiest of the options.

I see these as my options:
1 . Extend file.c to support storage in mysql.  This would have minimal
side effects on app_voicemail2, as the data streams would more or less
remain untouched.  There would need to be changes in the message counting,
sequencing, and a few other places.

2 . Write a separate voicemail application designed strictly to operate
with the database

3 . Pull all of the file operations out into functions and create a mysql
version of each, allowing a toggle for sql, the way it is done now for the
config file.

I really don.t want to end up with a completely separate voicemail
application that will need separate maintenance.  On the other hand, how
often has the voicemail app changed recently?

Also, I.ve only worked with mysql and it seems that the licensing change
last month will prevent a mysql-based voicemail app from residing in
regular cvs.

I.ve been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks now, and figured
I should just ask for some input.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Creel                                screel at turbs.com