[Asterisk-Dev] Third Party VoiceMail Interface

Jonathan.Hopper at kaz-group.com Jonathan.Hopper at kaz-group.com
Mon Oct 20 17:32:45 MST 2003

Hi there,
I hope I am asking this question in the right place.

We are trying to write a third party application to access the voicemail on
asterisk.  We are (for various reasons which we don't want to change)
making a stand alone voicemail system, which allows you to call in and
check your voicemail.  Asterisk will collect the voicemail, but to check
the messages, asterisk will transfer the call to our extension.  Our
application (running on a different machine and using separate telephony
cards) will then deal with the call, and access the voicemail on asterisk.

The question is, how should we get access to the asterisk voicemail
archive?  Is there a standard interface (VPIM has been floated), do we just
interact directly with the file structure, and ignore asterisk altogether,
or is there some sort of API that can give us access to the messages?
 We want to do things like:
Play messages from various mailboxes
Validate passwords
Delete messages
Move messages between boxes.
Configure the mailbox (greeting message, time-outs etc)

thanks

Jonathan Hopper

KAZ Group Limited
Consultant Voice Technologies