[Asterisk-Dev] Problem with asterisk/codecs/gsm/Makefile asterisk/codecs/mp3

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 16:40:44 MST 2003

Is there a reason why Asterisk does not use GNU autoconf?
Is it just because no one has done it yet and Asterisk was not
(at least at first) intended to be ported?

automake/autoconf is pretty much the best way to solve makefile
and other portability issues.

I tied building on a 64-bit SPARC which is IMO the best platform
for a PBX (needles to say it bombed big time.) but I would not
attempt to even start a port without first converting over to
use GNU auto tools and libtool.

You can buy SPARCS for under $1k and you can even install the OS
remotely.  (Software in ROM talks to the serial port with no
OS loaded.)  1 3/4" high, very small footprint. About as big as
a stack of two notebook PCs  and they take PCI cards and have
two 100BaseT interfaces built in.

So again, is there any reason not to use the "auto tools"?

--- Scott Lambert <lambert at lambertfam.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:46:35PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 October 2003 16:22, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > > scott at DellBSD.inch.com ~/src/VENDOR/digium/asterisk/codecs/gsm
> > > 16:56:52 Thu Oct 16 $ gmake
> > > gcc  -march= -fomit-frame-pointer   -c -DNeedFunctionPrototypes=1
> > > -funroll-loops -fPIC -DSASR -DNDEBUG    -DWAV49   -I./inc
> src/add.c
> > > cc1: bad value () for -march= switch
> > > gmake: *** [src/add.o] Error 1
> > >
> > > I don't see where PROC is set except in asterisk/Makefile, and
> that
> > > is commented out.  This is probably not the right fix but it
> works
> > > for me on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p13.
> >
> > Actually, this is the way you should be doing it:
> >
> > +ifndef PROC
> > +PROC=$(shell uname -m)
> > +endif
>
> That only works correctly after 4.8-RELEASE sometime.  I think a
> month
> ago or so.  4.8-RELEASE and older will give you i386 if on the i386
> compat platform.
>
> Oh well, all the patches that went in today which made these patches
> worth doing were just summarily backed out.
>
> --
> Scott Lambert                    KC5MLE                       Unix
> SysAdmin
> lambert at lambertfam.org

=====
Chris Albertson