[Asterisk-Dev] README.channels bugnote needs your help

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 16 01:53:30 MST 2003

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, John Todd wrote:
>

>>  [sent to the -dev list so I don't have to filter noise from a million
>>  -users replies and questions]
>>
>>  Mark and I had discussed building a "README.channels" file to start
>>  explaining some of the more esoteric features that aren't obvious in
>>  some of the channel dialing methods.  I've included some below for
>>  the channels with which I'm familiar, but my time is fairly short
>>  these days, and some of you may have much better grips on some of
>>  these channel types than I do, so please fill in the large tracts of
>>  missing channel data and we'll perhaps get this done more quickly.
>>
>>  I've created a bugnote on this: please submit your modifications and
>>  changes to the bugnote comments.  Please submit your changes in the
>>  form of a complete channel entry; no unified diffs, please, and don't
>>  submit six changes for six channels in a single bugnote; I'll compile
>>  everything in the next few days, but I don't want to spend hours
>>  sifting through a million shards of descriptions.
>>
>>  http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000390
>>

>A while ago I was thinking of something like this, but I was thinking that
>it would be better to store channel driver specific info in the channel
>driver.  Kind of like the way the application descriptions are stored in
>applications.
>
>So when a channel driver is registered, a description would be registered.
>
>Another possibility would be to build an internal help system, and then
>register these things with the help system.  That might make it easy to
>auto generate some documentation.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>James

That's reasonable, but I also like seeing the same data in one big
file somewhere, so different channels can be compared.  I'd suggest
we compile it in one spot first, since that requires no additional
programming.  :-)   Once the list is compiled, I can see if anyone
wants to start programming a "show drivers <name>" routine that dumps
out the individually registered channel driver syntax.

JT