[Asterisk-Dev] CVS

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 17:09:48 MST 2003

May I second the request?

The problem to be solved is that you have souce code around
or worse, a binary you built and you'd like to know what CVS
version you have checked out to your on your PC,

What he as asking for is that a line line the following be
added to every dot-C source file:

static char const rcsid[]  = "$ID:$"

Then when you do a checkout the CVS system will replace $ID:$
with datestand, version ID and user and hostname.

Later after asterisk is built you can use the "ident" command
to find all the ID strings in the binary and you can know
exactly how it was built and even go back to CVS and checkout
the correct versioned source files tore-build the binary.

See man ident(1) for more detail.

At the VERY least try this  /* $ID:$ */ so the source files
get commented.

--- asher at wildspark.com wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:10:01AM +0200, Mark Evans wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Not sure if this has been mentioned before but can the version
> number be
> > added to the top of each file in CVS so that if I checkout a
> snapshot
> > and forget when I did it I have an easy way of finding out the
> version
> > of a file?
>
> You can probably get the version with:
>
> cvs status FILENAME