[Asterisk-Dev] Voice detection

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Oct 3 13:29:05 MST 2003

>On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 00:08, Brad Waite wrote:
>  > Steven Critchfield wrote:
>[snip]
>  > > Argghh telemarketing....
>>
>>  Argghh voice mail notification...  (among other non-telemarketing
>>things)  :)
>
>I wonder if for all you who thinks your voice mail is so important that
>you can't have it wait till you normally would check(not just you Brad),
>if you wouldn't be better served with dynamic forwarding of a "on-call"
>phone.
>
>I understand that your lives are different from mine, but if it is so
>important that it has to be dealt with immediately, there is a number in
>our office that forwards to the on-call person. At that point we can
>answer the line wherever we have forwarded it too. Of course we also
>tend to have our customers email us if it wasn't so important as to need
>immediate attention.
>
>Other than your voice mail notification, the only other uses I know of
>are essentially telemarketing of nature, either soliciting of any kind
>or bill collectors. I even lump the local politicians into the solicitor
>category. I hated seeing that 2 of my local city council candidates used
>a automated caller to solicit my vote this last 2 elections.

[snip]

I have had people in the emergency services field ask me specifically
about voice recognition bundled into the call-out capabilities of
Asterisk.  Think about massively parallel broadcasts of information
to a geographic area, and the problems of language recognition.  I
don't know the explicit requirements that they had, but they wanted
basic language recognition (yes, no, numbers, help, operator, city
names) features and not simply silence detection.

So, in short, I encourage anyone to build in Sphinx or other language
recognition packages, even if they're just simple fuzzy pattern
matches that compare against canned templates with limited
vocabularies.

JT