[Asterisk-Dev] Voice detection

Brad Waite brad at wcubed.net
Thu Oct 2 22:08:37 MST 2003

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 21:36, Brad Waite wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if there's public voice detection algorithms available?  I've
>>scoured the net for the last hour or so, and I can't come up with anything
>>except a few proprietary or embedded solutions.
>>
>>I know dsp.c uses goertzel algorithms for DTMF detection, but how does one
>>detect voice?
>>
>>I dunno, maybe detecting voice isn't the way to go.  I want to begin playback of
>>a file after a phone/answering machine has answered.
>

> Argghh telemarketing....

Argghh voice mail notification...  (among other non-telemarketing things)  :)

> shouldn't you detect silence and then start?

Possibly, but I would think that between the last ring and the speech there
could be enough silence to return a false positive.

As it turns out, it appears that Festival's cousin, Sphinx, might be the ticket.
  Sphinx not only detects voice, but is a full Open Source speech recognition
engine.  In my mind, that opens up worlds of possibilities with *.  Anyone else
up for it?

BTW, more on Sphinx can be found at http://fife.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/.

Brad Waite