[Asterisk-Dev] RE: Asterisk license (fwd)

duncan duncan at impede.net
Wed Oct 1 12:09:43 MST 2003

>Is MySQL a requirement for Asterisk? What are the alternatives? How much
>of its features does it need? I was reading somewhere not too long ago
>about a product called either miniSQL or tinySQL.

No its not a requirement, its a feature.  MySQL is a very popular database
- so the ability to log CDR records to MySQL was added.  Asterisk doesnt
use MySQL for anything internally, for this db1 is used.  Db1 is a very
small database with the correct licencing to be added to the asterisk
codebase.  This licencing disagreement with MySQL isnt a big deal,
especially as Postgresql support should be merged into the CVS code base
about now.

MySQL support is still available for those unable or unwilling to install
Postgresql by checking out asterisk-addons.  Of course a database
abstraction layer would be nice, so CDR logging could occur to any kind of
database (oracle, yum!) but these things take a little time.

Duncan