[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-cvs] asterisk/channels chan_sip.c,1.248,1.249

Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) lwc at roke.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 16:59:36 MST 2003

Hi Folks,
   OK, I'll bite.

If one reads rfc2916bis, one notices a change - the syntax is NOT
what is proposed here. Basically, it's harris about apex from the
original (soon to be obsoleted) rfc2916. I STRONGLY recommend that
you swap the tokens around to fit with the new syntax.

Speaking as a veteran, it's not yet the right time to register an
ENUMservice, which is what you would need to do - BTW, IANA will not
register anything as an ENUMservice without passing it on to the IETF.

However, there's a get-out clause, for testing :).

The correct syntax for rfc2916 is 'E2U+<enumservice>', and a valid
<enumservice> for testing can be 'X-IAX2'. This is NOT registered
with anyone as it's reserved for experimental use, but if your
ENUM client understands it, all is cool.

My Mobile phone ENUM client will ignore it, as all well behaved
ENUM clients are supposed to when confronted with something they
can't understand/don't support. If one barfs when it reads such
an entry (i.e. one starting 'X-'), complain.

Problem solved, and a great deal of grief avoided - you would
probably need to get the IAX2 protocol anointed by the IETF
before you could register the ENUMservice before IANA would
register it - trust me, you don't want to try that yet.

all the best,
   Lawrence