[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk server hangs

Chris Wilson chris at netservers.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 05:41:24 MST 2003

Hi Francois,

> I would like to know if any of you have ever experience a similar
> problem with Asterisk and if so, How did you manage to solve it.
>
> We are running Asterisk on a Linux 9 server with a T410EP card (PRI). We
> are running an Outbound call Center and dials approximately 9,000 calls
> per day. We've never be able to get more than 3 days without having to
> restart Asterisk.
>
> When the problem occurs, we can not ssh to the server...everything is
> froze. Any hints?

We've noticed a problem with a file descriptor leak in Asterisk. After
some time running, it uses up all 1024 file descriptors and you cannot
connect to it, nor make calls using SIP, any more (I don't know if other
functions are affected). You could try "lsof -p <pid-of-asterisk>" and see
if you get:

asterisk 1894 root   26r  FIFO        0,5          1293843 pipe
asterisk 1894 root   27w  FIFO        0,5          1293843 pipe
all the way up to 1023w or so (a very large number of pipes!).

The console where Asterisk was run should also have lots of errors like
"no file descriptors available".

If the problem isn't that, then try strace'ing the Asterisk process and
see what it's hung doing.

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __// / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson -- UNIX Firewall Lead Developer |