[Asterisk-Dev] Text to speech on Asterisk

Dave astdev at newww.com
Sun Nov 16 10:23:41 MST 2003

On 16-Nov-03 Joseph Riss wrote:
> i was wondering why festival would need a "non-GPL glue code / server
> wrapper for the TTS engine" ?
> cepstral is commercial but isn't festival 'free for unrestricted use'
> according to it's license?

I didn't mean to imply that the "glue code" for Festival would be non-GPL.
Because of festival's license any code that needed to be built / linked /
wrapped with it would be released under GPL. In the case of commercial
TTS (like Cepstral), the "glue code" would be licensed in a manner
determined by the TTS company. I would imagine that it would be along
the lines of the LGPL, allowing it to be built with the commercial TTS
without "infecting" it with the GPL. The commercial company could then
release a binary so that folks that want to use it don't need to buy an
SDK just to build "glue".

        Dave