[Asterisk-Dev] Text to speech on Asterisk

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 13 23:45:11 MST 2003

>astdev at newww.com wrote:
>>I'd like to kick around some ideas about using various text to speech
>>engines with *.
>>
>>First a question, I few weeks ago someone made a comment about using
>>Cepstral with *. Is the Cepstral TTS for Linux a direct replacement
>>for Festival? or is there a app_cepstral that exists somewhere? The
>>quality of Cepstral is such that I wouldn't mind spending $30 just to
>>try it out.  So I'm looking for info on how to use it with *
>
>There is not an app_cepstral.  It should be be too tough to create
>one, however.  The API info in included with the $30 Cepstral
>product.  I don't recall is the libraries and headers are included
>with it or only in the $200 SDK product.  The way *I* use Cepstral
>is in an AGI script.  the script basically just wraps around the
>"theta" (Cepstral Text-to-wave program) then uses STREAM FILE to
>send the audio to the caller.  Cepstral us quite fast for
>Text-To-Wave/

[snip]

I'd put $20 towards an app_cepstral - maybe a few more people can put
their money where their mouths are (pun intended) and pay someone to
write it and submit it to CVS.  The time spent tuning Festival to get
it sounding decent is easily offset by $30 for a Cepstral voice plus
$20 for an app_cepstral, IMHO.

JT