[Asterisk-Dev] Distinctive ring inbound on FXO

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 6 02:25:03 MST 2003

>I am trying to implement the detection of distinctive ring on the
>an FXO interface. This can be used, clearly, to redirect the call
>to a different place based on the called number. Since the called
>number is not available now, I propose to add some new onfiguration
>variables to zapata.conf, namely did1, did2 and did3 to statically
>configure them. Then, in chan_zap.c, fill in the extension in
>chan->exten before control is passed to ast_pbx_run().
>
>The question is, how to determine if a distinctive ring has been
>recieved, and how to determine *which* distinctive ring if there
>are more than one configured?
>
>To begin with, I will try to make it work with only two numbers
>(my POTS line has only two numbers anyway, so it's sufficient
>for me right now), and kludge it in around line 4379 where the
>fix to make Caller ID work with distinctive ring is, but
>something tells me this is not the right way to do it.
>
>Any advice from someone who knows about dealing with zaptel
>hardware on this level?
>
>Thanks,
>-w

William -
   I would suggest modifying zaptel.conf and mapping Bellcore-dr*
(where * is a number 1-5) signals to a specific DID, more or less as
you describe.  Something like this:

bellcore-dr1=s
bellcore-dr2=2125551234
bellcore-dr3=2126667890

   Of course, if a bellcore-dr* is not specified, then it goes to "s",
but you could also specifically assign "s" to a particular ring type
if you were being thorough.

   You can find distinctive ringing parameters (here in North America,
at least) specified in Bellcore/Telcordia GR-506-CORE.