[Asterisk-Dev] cell phone locations?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Nov 6 02:04:57 MST 2003

>While playing around with my cell phone the other night, I was reminded
>that cell phones are supposed to start sending location information now.
>My phone has the option for setting it to 911 only, or just on. I was
>wondering it it is set to on, if it is possible to pick up that
>information in the PRI at my office?
>
>Does anyone know how it is supposed to be presented, and if it would
>make it all the way to a PRI?
>
>--
>Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com>

I had an extremely long answer crafted for this, but for the first
time ever, my mail client crashed for no reason, and I feel too tired
to re-write it.

Short answer: No, not a snoball's chance in hell.  A variety of
governmental and corporate interests have legitimate and
not-so-legitimate reasons for never letting you see that information.

Longer answers (but still "no"): Look up UUI in September's
discussions on the list.

Even longer answers: I have plans for cell-phone driven geoloc
methods of pushing presence information into Asterisk.  In fact, I
have it working already, but not with my cell phone.  More news as I
get time, but suffice to say that when my car leaves my driveway, my
calls start to get forwarded to my cell phone.  It is not ever going
to be something that could be used as a E911 adjunct.

Even LONGER answers:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/respond/ali_1_1/user_sbc/aftintro.htm#73298
http://www.nena.org/
http://www.psc.state.ne.us/home/NPSC/e911/Terminology.PDF