[Asterisk-Dev] Patch for voicemail date/time

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu May 15 22:50:25 MST 2003

wrote:
> > If that could be done, then the timestamp should prolly be
> > played backwards, time-of-day first.  If I'm getting
> > messages very often, that's all I'd need to know of any use;
> > then beep right along.
>
> What's usually done in voicemail systems is to just say
> "Today" or "Yesterday" as appropriate.  Only if the message is
> older is, perhaps, the day of the week given, or the full
> date.

Here's the latest bit of code.  This patch is currently UNTESTED,
but I'll test it tomorrow during the day.  It will allow a new
variable in voicemail.conf called "datetime" which is a format
string.  The string currently accepts the following specifiers:
	'any/soundfile'	quoted, in single ticks, the name of a sound
	A			weekday
	B			monthname
	d			day of month
	Y			year
	I (capital i)		hour, in 12-hour format
	M			minute
	p			am or pm
	Q			"digits/today", "digits/yesterday", or
				"ABdY" if neither.
Spaces and tabs are ignored within the string.  The default
string is:
	'vm-received' Q 'digits/at' IMp

The format specifiers, with the exception of Q, are in keeping
with strftime(3), in case you're interested.

-Tilghman