[Asterisk-Dev] Anyone doing QOS routing on Linux for SIP/RTP?

Jeremy McNamara jj at indie.org
Thu May 15 09:29:35 MST 2003

Bill Jennings wrote:

><snip>
>The link between the two locations is a simplex repeater (similar to an
>access point, but operating in IBSS mode) which is shared by a dozen or
>so of my other customers.
>
>It took a while before I could get the sound quality to an acceptable
>level, but that was mainly choosing the correct echo cancellor.

We run Lucent Orinoco gear with custom firmware and as long as the AP
isn't highly loaded VoIP works great for us.  We've got one AP with 50
active CPEs and of those 15-20 have various types of IP Phones or Soft
Clients and we haven't had many (if any) complaints, but then another AP
has over 100 CPEs and during the Busy Hours ppl have complained about
jitter and packet loss on Voice.

So as long as you don't oversubscribe too much things go rather
smoothly, at least for us (your mileage may vary)

Jeremy McNamara